Every breath in

My mornings smelled of
Tamarind, turmeric and ghee
Before I'd bury my face
Into the jasmine of mum's saree

The scooty rides to school
Were distinctly Old Spice
And the prayer assembly
Of chalk, mud and advice

Post school waiting 
With melting Orange ice-candy
And rubbing sticky elbows
With autos and aunties

My haven then 
Was the badminton court
Old wet-wood and sweat
And the spirit of sport

The evenings were laced
With bajjis and coffee
To tune out of chore 
With MS Subbalakshmi

Surprises were mostly
Cinnamon and cake
With ginger chai for dad
And us, a banana shake

My sister in wet hair
Was blossoms and chlorine
And this was my favourite
Childhood routine

Onto forced health times
Smelling of fresh grass
And overused deoderant
When it's time for class

The good times comprised
Of mint and hesitation
The better times that
Of gin and conversation

Then there are others
Of vanilla, sea and lime
Petrichor and campfires
Old books and thyme 

So if you ask me
For my favorite scent
I'd have to narrate 
A whole lifetime well spent

Comments