How are you doing today?

Every time someone asks me
"How are you doing today"
I'm dumbstruck
For how do I respond when
I'm overjoyed that my friend is having a baby
And shocked that cases like that of Asifa
happened and continue to, everyday
Worried, that my dad's knees aren't strong anymore
And relieved that I finally learned
to pay my water bill (after it was due)
Proud, that India won 7 golds
and that sport has never been better
Nervous, about my presentation this Friday
A craving for chicken biryani and
Excitement that my friend is visiting soon
At peace, that my goosebumps don't have to
revolt against the temperature
Irritated, with the lingering pain in my neck
Home-sick because I'm always home-sick
but stimulated from my new surroundings
In continual existential wonderment of how
I got where I am and what I am doing
And in a quest for feeling all the feelings
Of people I don't even know
So that's what I'm about
When it takes me two seconds
To breathe and say
"Fine, thanks, you?"

Comments