GOT indifferent? Read on.

If I read a title like that, I would think this is an angsty post written by a grad student unsure of the state of their thesis. Though not far from the truth, GOT actually refers to Game of Thrones. Am I the only one that thought this needed an explanation?

When it first came out, I thought the hype would eventually die down -- as it usually does. Just like that of bootcut jeans or the use of "LOL" in a sentence. Unlike the horror story of the latter though, this one stays and re-enforces itself in waves with every season that comes out. And it has lasting psychological effects. Let me explain.

1. You think people are talking about real events.
"...and that is a threat to their whole clan." This is when you enter and you think, "Woah this world has so many deep and complex issues that threaten wiping out of a populace - how exciting, let's help out, let's talk about it!" And then you find out that it is about a fictional universe and your whole life is a lie. Or other times when someone says something you don't understand, but it makes everyone else laugh. So you think that said person is really smart and you don't want to have  a sense-of-humor crisis. You kind of also want to fit in, so you grin along. And then that dirtbag friend calls you out and says "You don't even watch the show", and now you're having a life crisis. Gee thanks, Donald. 

2. You start excusing yourself from conversations.
Your friends are talking again, and you haven't caught up on what's going on. You try and then you're pretty sure someone said "incest" and that's your cue for zoning out. Between consolation and reminding yourself of how cool you think you are, you say "Uh, I don't know, I don't watch the show." And then you realize he's been talking about investing in crypto-currency. Why, Donald?

3. It doesn't matter if you watch the show or not.
Like a political phenomenon, there are mushrooms of fandoms who are discussing everything they can about this. What they don't care about is whether you even watch the show. The other day, I was sharing a route with someone and they asked me if I watched the new episode. I said I don't watch the show. After initial trauma as to how I exist without such primal needs, he went on to give me spoilers about the leaked episode. Who are these people? How do they have dragons? How can I get one? Can I name her Ezula? Surely, not Donald.

4. Your imagination gets really good.
By this point, you know some things about the show and it's probably enough. Like how you think Denearys is really cool and don't want her to die, and winter is coming, and that bastard John Snow is only literally one, and not figuratively, and probably not literally as well. So you start coming up with theories based on the bits of information that you pick up, when people are talking. Suddenly, you're GRRM in the making, coming up with wild plot lines and your friends come to you for a take on the situation based on your alternate reality. Then you yell "I hear Bran is dying" and people are horrified out of their minds. That's when you know the world is your oyster. Take that, Donald.

All this, just me? Okay cool. Thanks for taking the time out of your GOT filled adventurous life to read this. I'm going to go and live under a rock and called it indifference. Bye!

Comments