"Sabotage and motivation" - my new tv series.

That was not just a misleading title, it was also a big fat lie.

Have you ever tried calling a JavaScript "Ovject"? After spending a whole day trying to debug, I feel like I have more perspective in life. I started writing something too fancy for my own good, but decided to write about a story that my mother told me when I was 9.

I remember this day only too clearly. It was a second Saturday of the month, so I didn't have regular school that day. It was around 6 PM and my mum and I were sitting among the plants in the balcony. She was sipping her tea and I was drawing something on my slate. Suddenly my mom picked up a piece of chalk and drew two lines on the slate. She told me that one line was mine and the other was hers, and asked me how I would make my line bigger than hers. I thought it was a trick question so I stayed silent with a "Woman say whaaa" kind of look.

"You can either take the piece of chalk and make your line bigger or you can take the duster and rub my line to make it small." She demonstrated with drawing a bigger line and rubbing a bit of the other. "You always have this option, and I want you to always pick drawing a bigger line for yourself. Even in class, if you want to be the best at something, practise and work hard to get there. If someone else has a bigger line, don't rub it. And if you are lucky enough to get the chance, help someone draw theirs."

I understood what she was trying to say but I didn't get why. I worried that I had treated some kid bad or had tried to "rub someone's line". I recollected everything I did but I couldn't think of anything, except eating too much of my best friend's lunch. Which I knew wasn't a big deal. I still don't know if it was something she read or if my drawing skills inspired her but I will never forget what she told me that day.  It's a to-do list ingrained.

1. Draw line
2. Don't rub line
3. Help draw line
Smiley face.

Oh and also, protect your line and don't let anyone else rub it. Smiley face.

And while you're doing all the drawing, give it your best, most colourful shot. Unless you're American. In which case, make it colorful.

Am I going on a "Life is your canvas" sort of rant? I don't mean to, really. It's just that everything I learnt as a kid is starting to make sense now. I guess it's a multiple-snowstorm consequence and cabin fever lurking around the corner. There are only so many "How to make gluten-free pancakes" videos I can watch on YouTube. And then not make them.

Comments